Thursday, June 7, 2007

On the Way Out

Words are powerful. Used properly they have the abiltiy to describe, define, convince, encourage, comfort, hurt or destroy. In speeches such as the Gettysburg Address and " I Have a Dream",they can bring change to society. In books they can take us to far off places, real and imagined. From the petroglyphs of ancient cultures to raised bumps for blind readers, to carefully set type for newspaper pages , writing has been a means of communication and a means of recording of history, scientific facts, emotions and humor. Writing is essential to reading and reading the express lane to learning. This quarter I've been challenged to write with solid organization and clarity and have learned new terms such as audience, voice, and parallelism. I've even been encouraged by one instructor to publish some of my poetry. I hope you've enjoyed the writings contained in this portfolio and that you have been encouraged to write as well. Thanks for reading my selected works!

No comments: