Friday, June 8, 2007

I Can See Clearly Now

It is an age old condition of humanity that persons we meet are often instantly judged for their appearance, and they are valued not for who they really are , but for how they fit into our narrow spectrum of what is considered normal behavior and acceptable grooming and attire. The following story, "Through a Glass Darkly", is about one of those odd individuals whom I avoided at first, but who eventually wove his way into my heart and became a character I will never forget. "Through a Glass Darkly" was the first major writing assignment (MWA) of the quarter and the one I spent the most time revising. I had a tendency to drift into a side story which I eventually overcame . In a story of this type, I attempt to take the reader there. A comparison and contrast essay, it was chosen for the descriptions that accomplished this such as: “…when sputum collected in his mouth, he’d get out of his seat and stagger forward, jostling to and fro …spit hack and spit some more…wiping his mouth with his hand he’d return to his seat…”

No comments: