Friday, June 8, 2007

I Have This to Say about That Dear Reader

Dear reader,
Life often has curious twists of fate that when first encountered, leave us angry and hurt, but when we look back on our change of direction, we often find reason for thankfulness. Such was the case with losing my job of three years last February. I had worked as a seamstress, making and repairing draperies, and had become quite proficient at it. However, most of the drapes I made were claims, replacements for damaged drapes that had somehow been ruined in the cleaning process. This caused a lack of profit for my department and the elimination of my position. As I looked for a new position, it became apparent that if I wanted better pay, I would need to learn greater computer skills and become certified at something. After two interviews and several weeks of searching help wanted ads and on-line job offerings that didn’t meet my needs as pertained to location and payment conditions, the choice to attend college was immediately made. It is my plan and goal to become a medical assistant.

When it has been thirty-six years beyond high school, with only some military training and a tech school in between, returning to school can be quite challenging. I quickly discovered that even though writing can be tedious and frustrating at times I still rather enjoyed it.The frustration comes from thinking that you’ve cleaned up a piece just right only to find someone with a question that compels you to change wording or add some more information and the tedium from attempting to get punctuation exactly right.

One of the wonderful things about writing is that you can speak your mind without anyone butting in, taking over the conversation and addressing their agenda. English 98 has challenged me to think deeper and broader and has sharpened my writing skills. My previous writings have been fairly strong in things like descriptions, but occasionally have gotten off the main track into a side story. I now am aware of that weakness and am more watchful for it. My hope is that by reading my works, you will be encouraged to put pen to paper and discover the joy of writing for yourself.

No comments: